One of the most common questions asked during executive leadership coaching is, “How can we get followers to perform better and do what they are supposed to be doing?”
As the below leadership infographic illustrates, optimizing employee performance begins with six steps that are designed to clarify and define the leader/employee relationship.
- Get Clear on “The Deal” – Clearly explain to employees what’s expected of them and what is offered in return.
- Understand the Values, Mission & Vision – Teams only achieve their goals when they understand and align with values, vision, and mission.
- Get Clear on the Task or Goal – Define the What to do, Why do it, How to do it, By when. Plus, What a good job looks like.
- Diagnose Task-Specific CM Levels – Every employee has varying Competence and Motivation (CM) Levels. An effective leader is skilled at diagnosing them.
- Match the Leader Style to Task-Specific CM Levels – Effective leaders use “SHOWING” and “ENCOURAGING” in different combinations to bring out the genius in people.
- Negotiate and Track performance – Give corrective and praising feedback to help people develop their unique talents.
Using these six steps as the starting point of your productivity improvement strategy is guaranteed to elevate employee performance.
Take it to the next level with Leadership for Einsteins: How Smart leaders Bring Out the Genius in People and/or send an eMail to Jim@Subject2Change.ca.