A study of Harvard MBA grads revealed that 3% of the grads made 10X as much as the other 97%.
They had clear, written goals and plans to accomplish them.
I wish someone had taught me this earlier in my career. I didn’t learn how to consistently practice goal setting until I was in my 50’s. I’m certain it would have saved me years of frustration and helped me to achieve more goals – both personally and professionally.
I have set my goals for 2015. In brief for role as writer – to write 12 eBooks for Kindle by August 2015. As executive coach – to increase my executive coaching income by 200% by June 2015. Human in body – to work out with personal trainer 5 days a week, 48 weeks. Golfer – get out on the links once a week in sunny weather. Partner – show Renee how much I love her each day. Uncle – connect with my nieces and nephews every 10 days. Health – improve my kidney function to point where I can get off daily dialysis.
If you’ve never made a commitment to goal setting, now is the time to start. Imagine Dec. 31, 2015, what that might look like for you. You have to review your goals every 30, 60, 90 days. Only 5% of people actually set, review and actualize their goals.
Here are some ways you can make sure you work toward achieving you 2015 goals – should you choose to take the assignment.
Pick someone to do this with – you hold each other accountable.
- What was the biggest thing you accomplished this past year?
- Write down the different roles you have in life – manager, son/daughter, lover, human in body, sibling, student, friend, athlete, musician, etc.
- Write down only ONE goal for each of the roles you listed. Make sure they are S.M.A.R.T.E.R. (Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic, Time-Specific, Ethical, Recorded).
- Put your goals on a large poster board or flip chart sheet. Do not put them into your computer. Be creative and make it into a craft. Print letters, get artistic, or cut out letters. Phone me if you want an explanation as to why 604.671.9658. Add pictures from magazines that represent each goal. When done, you will have your personalized goal board to place in an area you see every day.
- Set mini-milestones and rewards that will help you take steps throughout the year to achieve your goals. Remember to celebrate each milestone.
- Congratulate each other, encourage each other, and support each other throughout the year for working toward your goals.
Huddle up with your partner periodically to reiterate what are your goals for each role for this year?
Sound Off: How can you best support each other throughout the year to help you reach your goals?
The best to you in 2015.